Steve Hart is a journalist and editor with interests in social issues, politics, insurance, business, real estate and music.
Steve’s career as a news reporter and feature writer began in the UK when he started writing freelance for his local evening newspaper.
Having completed his NCTJ training at Harlow College he was appointed as a regional editor at a large newspaper group. Within a few years he became group chief sub editor, and then deputy editor at the paper which – at the time – published 14 regional editions and had a combined weekly distribution of more than one million copies across Essex and parts of London.
Steve worked as a news reporter at BBC Essex radio as well as commercial station Essex Radio. In addition he hosted the breakfast show at Radio Basildon.
There was a sideways move into corporate communications in the late 90s when he joined Norwegian engineering firm Kvaerner – working at its London and Oslo offices as well as undertaking reporting assignments all over the world. He left to join award-winning contract publishing house Barkers Trident Communications as managing editor at its Canary Wharf office.
In 1999 Steve accepted a role at the New Zealand Herald as chief sub editor of its daily business section. A succession of senior editorial roles followed until he left in 2007 to work freelance.
Steve has produced three documentaries and has hosted numerous podcasts and syndicated radio shows including The Steve Hart Radio Show (news and interviews).
- Journalist and researcher
- Project manager
- Podcast production / audio fixing guru (it’s like magic really)
- I write for newspapers, online, in-house magazines, retail publications, B2B, and B2C
- Data reporting – turning dry facts and figures into compelling copy by identifying the story
- Independent researcher – I know where to look (or know the people who do)
- Write for different audiences: tabloid, broadsheet, magazines, company reports
- Podcast host and producer
Editorial roles since 2000
- NZ Herald – Chief sub editor, Business section. Editor of the Career section; Travel section; Herald Homes; and managing editor Custom Publications
- Demm Engineering & Manufacturing magazine (contract editor)
- Publisher/editor Viewfinder magazine and website
- D-Photo, photography magazine (contract editor)
- NZ Investor magazine and website (contract editor)
- Freelance writer for a wide range of business and trade titles